Monday, August 29, 2011

The Midnight Drive


Night drives are always special.. Especially when it rains and its past twelve and you are on quite a long drive.. It happened to me last night and added to all the stuff i said above, I was listening to Ilayaraja.. yup.. was feeling like this drive was some experience of your lifetime that happens when u least expect it.. Actually I had to drop one of my Dads office staff till perungudi, which is quite far from my place.. when my dad asked whether I could, I thought "man.. this is gonna be fun" but well, I wasn't expecting this kinda strong downpour though.. I drive a black Bolero and i felt this was the ride, kinda Built for situations like this..and this my chance to experiment a lot..I was driving on the opposite side of the wind most of the time and had to set my Wipers on the high mode.. The drive was a total gamble.. The drive was more of a prediction, than the actual drive you would have when the things ahead is clear.. I pitied for the two-wheelers and pedestrians especially as it would ve been real hell (how about having yourself drowned in a splash of puddle water every time a car crosses by? :p ) over the night.. I had my battery light flickering then and there on my dashboard, every time I unfortunately Forded my way at some places.. I dunno whether it was right or not but the overhead bridges are closed during night-time, forcing us to take the route below the bridge which would be having 'waterfalls' coming at equal intervals like the ones you see in Avatar (Technically, they come from the side drains you find over the bridges) and not to mention the fact that you eventually get stuck up at the mini rivers that arise on the sides.. as my way was via the IT corridor, Even in that kinda downpour, I could see some of the night-duty travels vehicles( which are usually the cabs software people use) rushing past (well.. ya they always do) but except those, the road was at my disposal totally.. Was having a great time, testing my ride's breaks, suspension and the maneuverability on the wet roads.. learnt quite some lessons too which i would elaborate Separately in my next post..
altogether I really enjoyed the drive except for one occasion, where I had a shudder was when the wiper refused to move.. the water was splashing the windshield making the road ahead into a total blur and kept on increasing with time.. i made a little stop on the side and tried kick-starting the wiper shake manually.. but in vain.. after crossing the toll gate, it got its senses back and came back to the waving motion back again.. Though It was a Two hours drive totally from start to stop but I never felt a bit tired or drowsy at 1 PM..maybe its coz of  ilayaraja or the rain outside which brought me back the happy rainy days of campus life, but the sound of the storm along with the chill breeze is a must-have experience for all..

No comments:

Post a Comment